English 110.01 at 1:30, MW
10/18/18
Exploration Six
When it comes to what music people can listen to, there is a ton of categories and genres to choose from. Every song from country to hip hop can be found with just a click of a button. Pop songs, specifically, are everywhere. They trend on radio stations, YouTube, and numerous other mediums on a multitude of occasions. Maroon 5 is a group that consistently does that with new hit after new hit and truly is a musical group that should be listened to and admired.
The target audience of Maroon 5 sometimes isn't made very clear because most of their songs can apply to people of all ages because the topics of loss, instinctual drives, and love are things that everyone grapples with at any point in their lives. However, it is easy to deduce that the group's "target audience" includes young teenagers and young adults like me. The group, in many ways, operate like Justin Bieber. Both target a young audience and use their charm and songs to win over their fans. Maroon 5's leader even was the sexiest man of the year in 2013. Unlike Justin Bieber, the group is truly noble and work to raise awareness for various different causes including ADHD treatment. This group inspires people to do and be their best.
When I first got an iPhone in the 7th grade, I never understood why my fellow classmates spent money on songs for their phones. I thought it was silly and preferred to spend my money on in-game purchases for clash of clans. That all changed when I first listened to Maroon 5. My sister was playing the radio so loud I could hear it in my bedroom and then I heard the song Maps. The lyrics told a story about a man getting over loss and abandonment. The lyrics asks where that significant other was, saying that he was there when he needed her. That spoke volumes to me because at that time I was dealing with my own type of loss. My previous friends had started to turn their backs on me, and my attempts at a colorful romance was immediately laughed off, severely harming my self esteem and confidence. From then on, I started purchasing all of their music, and the works of many other artists. Without its music, I wouldn't be the person I am today. It has changed me for the better, and I would definitely recommend their content and brand.
Below is the link to the lyrics of Maps by Maroon 5.
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/maroon5/maps.html
Word Count: 412
![]() |
| Above is the logo of Maroon 5. |
When I first got an iPhone in the 7th grade, I never understood why my fellow classmates spent money on songs for their phones. I thought it was silly and preferred to spend my money on in-game purchases for clash of clans. That all changed when I first listened to Maroon 5. My sister was playing the radio so loud I could hear it in my bedroom and then I heard the song Maps. The lyrics told a story about a man getting over loss and abandonment. The lyrics asks where that significant other was, saying that he was there when he needed her. That spoke volumes to me because at that time I was dealing with my own type of loss. My previous friends had started to turn their backs on me, and my attempts at a colorful romance was immediately laughed off, severely harming my self esteem and confidence. From then on, I started purchasing all of their music, and the works of many other artists. Without its music, I wouldn't be the person I am today. It has changed me for the better, and I would definitely recommend their content and brand.
Below is the link to the lyrics of Maps by Maroon 5.
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/maroon5/maps.html
Word Count: 412

Thomas, I actually didn't know Maroon 5 worked to raise awareness for ADHD treatment. I really like their music too, but now knowing this about the band gives me a much greater respect for them and what they do. I think it's always important when popular bands like that do something with mental health because it shows all of us more normal people with a non famous life that those things are nothing to be ashamed of, and it doesn't make us weird or put us out of place. Since so many people like them, it has probably also encouraged a lot more people to focus on getting help with their ADHD which leaves such a positive impact on them and others around them!
ReplyDeleteMaroon 5 is a great group of artists to choose for this exploration! They are a very talented group when the come together. Like you said, they sing about the enjoyment and also the struggles of life. We are able to relate to them and that is why they are so popular. It is also very cool how they spread awareness for reputable causes.
ReplyDelete