Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Exploration Six: Kaitlyn Pheiffer

The artist that has had an influence on me and my life is Khalid. Khalid is a pop R&B artist who mainly
makes music for younger audiences, mainly teenagers. He’s a fairly new artist but he’s made his mark
on young listeners with his most popular album, ‘American Teen’. I actually attended one of Khalid’s 
concerts last summer and it was truly an amazing experience.
Khalid not only has catchy rhythm and style, but his lyrics are some that apply to his audience.
You’ll find yourself tapping your foot to the beat, while also wondering how the lyrics of his songs 
express your feelings about teenage and young adult life. He also spreads a lot of peace, positive 
messages, and love throughout his music. Much like the artist Logic, Khalid looks to empower his 
audience through happiness and enjoying life. Khalid was actually featured in one of Logics songs, 
1-800-273-8255, which is the number for the suicide hotline. In this song, they spread the message 
about the importance of staying alive because every life is worth living. It is very relatable to most 
teenagers in a dark place, which I believe helps them cope with it and there were a lot of positive 
messages about this song such as teens explaining that this song was how they would cope, and for 
some, this song kept them alive. Khalid ends the song with the powerful verse, “I wanna feel alive, I 
don’t even wanna die anymore.” This to me was one of the most powerful verses in the song, as it 
concluded the journey of someone realizing they did in fact want to be alive and live they life they 
were meant to live.
Focusing more on music Khalid himself wrote and sang independently, one of the most influential 
songs he produced is “8TEEN” on the album ‘American Teen’. He sings, “let’s do all the stupid shit 
that young kids do” which I think is a baseline for the whole song. Throughout this song, he’s explaining
what average teenagers do, and that were all not much different. It allows us teenagers to know that it 
is really important to enjoy our life, and not stress too much about being an adult yet. Some teens get 
so caught up in stressing about school and work and other things like that, they forget to allow 
themselves to relax. I am guilty of this, and Khalid’s music really helps me remember I’m still a kid 
and I do need to learn how to have fun and balance my time better. Another cool thing he does within 
the song 8TEEN is, he uses “we” and “us” constantly, which puts us and Khalid on solid ground. It 
allows us to see all teenagers are going through a similar thing, even if you’re famous.
I strongly believe it would be hard for someone to listen to all of Khalid's songs and not like at least 
one of them. His relatable lyrics and his catchy beats are the ultimate mixture for the perfect music for 
teenagers. Music is a great outlet to stress and sadness, and Khalid specifically can help a lot of 
teenagers understand they’re not alone. He provides a relaxing sound for us to listen to with lyrics 
that mean something to us. Khalid is the voice of the teenagers who are too soft spoken.
(word count 560)
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjd5kF2IPuc
Khalid and Logic posing for a picture together

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Khalid's music has been especially influential to our younger generation. His song titled with the number for the suicide hotline had a great impact, causing more people to do use it and in turn saving lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy listening to Khalid, however I never really got into him. He does seem to aim at younger generations just like Logic does. He sends a good message to people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, whenever I am listening to Khalid I find that I become more relaxed and in more of a go with the flow kind of mood. All of his beats to his songs are so relaxing. Also his lyrics are so catchy I sometimes find myself with some of his songs stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.