What I’ve learned so far from Chapter 5 is that a review is much more than simply stating whether you did or didn’t like something. It’s about saying what you thought, and then going into detail about why you thought such things. Your audience will not learn anything of value if you do not go in depth or explain things, so the entire purpose of the review will be lost and they will have gained absolutely nothing of value. It’s about evaluating and breaking down the aspects of something, and saying what did or didn’t work about it. Your are meant to inform your audience, not simply tell them your opinion without giving them any new perspectives or insight.
It’s also important that when writing a review, you are willing to have a changing perspective on it. The review will come across as very biased and closed minded if you are not willing to fully think things over despite your first impressions. It’s not to let your emotions get in the way of writing a quality review. If the audience sees that you have very strong feelings about what you’re writing about and not necessarily an objective assessment, they will be turned off and not take what you say seriously.
I watch a comedic YouTube channel called RedLetterMedia that specializes in reviewing and discussing movies. One of their series is called “Best of the Worst” where they sit down in a group of four people and talk about several movies that are so bad they are entertaining. In one episode, they talked about a movie called Samurai Cop and said it was one of their favorite “bad movies”. It’s about a Los Angeles police officer who specializes in Sword fighting who, along with his partner, tries to take down a Japanese gang that controls the cocaine market. They described several funny moments from the movie and went in depth about what makes it entertaining, and this was enough to get me to watch it with a couple of my friends. It ended up being one of the best experiences I’ve ever had watching a movie due to how hilariously bad and entertaining it was.
I actually know that YouTube channel pretty well and I love to review movies whether they are really good or really bad, it. Is a big hobby of mine. I have watched several movies that they reviewed and I had similar experiences with it being a good time and them being hilarious. What other movies have you watched that you saw from them and would you reccomend this movie to other people?
ReplyDeleteI agree with your point about reviews. They need to be explained in depth so that the audience can learn something new, not just your opinion.
ReplyDeleteRegurgitating your opinion into a review does not create a good interview. That I can certainly agree with you on. Emotion can really stifle the decision making process and lead to a conclusion that shouldn't rightfully be forged. Have you ever seen a blatant opinionated review? Did you like it?
ReplyDelete