Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Exploration 5 Edwards

One question I have is how can reviews be used in a negative way? The book talked a lot about the positives to writing a review about something, but I'm curious about reviews in a negative sense. Reviews can be helpful to those who might not have read or watched something, but how can a review affect something negatively? Will it shape the mind of the reader to a closed opinion? Will it turn force someone olive their life differently?

I use reviews in my own life almost everyday. The most recent use of reviews in my life was before I went to watch the new movie Deadpool 2. I wanted to know what other people thought of the movie. I use them to help me sort out what I should watch/not watch, do/not do, or where I should go/not go. It can make life a lot easier in the sense that you don't need to waste your time watching a bad movie, for example, because you read a 5 minute review on said movie. This is a very helpful tool for people who don't like to waste their time. However, this can lead to problems as well. In a society that looks for shortcuts, you can jump to some very hasty, as well as negative, opinions on something because of one review of it. The best advice I can give to avoid that is simply keep an open mind, understand why someone might hate a movie, but also understand why someone might like it. Make sure to look at all the facts before using a review as an end all be all trick.


Deadpool 2 starring Ryan Reynolds
Image result for deadpool 2

2 comments:

  1. Reading the reviews on a movie can be extremely helpful and could save you a lot of time if it prevents you from watching a bad movie. Although you might not always agree with the reviews, most of the time it is a great guide to find out if the movie is really worth watching or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought the book was being fairly biased about only using reviews for positive aspects. I have found a negative review to be just as helpful as a positive one. Negative reviews are helpful when evaluating restaurants, movies and even books. People need to know that a good review can be both positive and negative!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.