Monday, October 15, 2018

Writing Exercise Website Review Logan Siebert

Mr Money Mustache is a blog designed by man who retired in his earl thirties and his friends were complaining about wanting to retire so they could stay home with their kids but they couldn't save enough money to do so. As a result, Mr Money Mustache has started a DIY blog where he explains the optimal ways to save your money for the lack of a better terms. He offers his views on how to install your own solar panels, how to maximize your home in the smallest possible square footage so you aren't wasting your money on a plot of land, and many more financial efforts towards your early retirement but this website is also very helpful to a student who is going through college at the moment and needs to make sure they minimize their debt as much as possible.
There are many factors that you look at when considering if you find the website you'er using to be "good" or able to be used. One criteria is whether or not the website is easy to navigate. Obviously the ease to navigate is key for people of all ages, but it is always important to make sure your optimal audience can navigate it especially. Fortunately, the audience in mind for this blog, happens to be extremely technologically savvy and knows how to do just about everything when it comes to technology. Never the less, it never hurts to have clear labels and tabs so that even your grandma can use the website. In my experience, I have found it helpful when a website has broad categories that when hovered over with the mouse, expand into more specific tabs that are in the same area of topic rather than a million little tabs that each go to their own section of the website and it is impossible to find your way back to where you were when you click the wrong link.
Another key criteria is the author/association's credibility to the topic at hand. In other words, do they know what they're talking about? I don't know about you, but if I'm writing a paper on the safety of the sport of baseball, I'd rather cite the opinions of a doctor, rather than someone who went to a baseball game for the first time last week and thought, "Hey this sport is pretty cool, but I'd love to give my two cents on how to make it safer." If you're writing a blog, always make sure you know what you're talking about because just like you wouldn't want to use someone else's incorrect research, others wouldn't want to use your incorrect research
.Image result for mr money mustache
Pictured above is the famous
"Mr Money Mustache"

3 comments:

  1. Logan, I get your comment about rather having the citations of a doctor, but he also has personal experiences in his blog. He has done these things himself so he knows they work. Yes having a doctor might make it a better blog but at least he has done these things himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thing that this blog is well done and is very credible. I think that the voice also has a positive effect on how the information is conveyed to the reader. The voice draws you in and makes you focus on the information that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Logan! I like and agree with what you said about an easy to navigate blog. I have never been good about navigating around web pages but this one was simple for me! It also shows that the author is organized and doesn't have their information messy and all over the place.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.