An observation that I had while reading Chapter 5 was the statement that we often write reviews for the benefit of other, rather than ourselves. I found this interesting that we as humans who tend to be selfish, go out of our way to make sure that someone else learns everything there is to know about a movie, phone, etc. rather than making them learn the information for themselves. To honest, I never thought of a review as helpful to anyone but me or the seller. You see, I only write reviews when I find there is something negative about a good or service, and my reviews intentions are to inform the producer that what they are supplying is not up to what it is promised to be. Reading this passage has opened a new door for me to see that I can write reviews about things that are positive too, not just the negative side of things.
As mentioned before, I tend to use reviews as a warning of something bad that I might be interested in purchasing. I use reviews most often when I am buying a sports jersey as I have a retailer from China that I buy all of my athletic attire from and sometimes, there are sellers out there that produce extremely low quality goods and you would not know this unless you see reviews from others who unfortunately received a bad item. As a result of this, I tend to look for a handful of good reviews from a seller before I consider purchasing a good from them. By using this method, I have never received a bad jersey when I read the reviews. However, prior to my reading of the reviews, I did receive a poor quality jersey, and that is why I read the reviews on every purchase I make to this day.
Above are 2 styles of the same jersey and they seem
identical but one is a men's jersey and the other is women's.
In a situation like this, reviews are helpful so you don't order
the wrong fitting jersey.
I too have had experience with these Chinese retailers and have been one of those unfortunate people to receive a bad item. Going forward those reviews have proved useful as I have not made the same mistake twice.
ReplyDelete