Wednesday, October 24, 2018

You Tube Channel Veritasium. From Mike.

This is a YouTube channel that tries to make science interesting and accessable, and to spur conversation about interesting, important but often difficult subjects.



Derek Muller is the creator of Veritasium.


Here are three videos you should watch actively, and pick one other of your choice from his channel for a total of four videos total.  That will give you a good feel for the channel, content, and style.

Have fun!

Mike

Why Anecdotes Trump Data
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7MTM4BKZ_E

Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvk2PQNcg8w&t=255s

13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXoRSIxyIU

22 comments:

  1. There are 2 criteria that I think are important. They are watch-ability and use of evidence. From the three videos we watched, I rank 13 misconceptions about Global Warming (best) first, then Why anecdotes trump data, and last but not the least Why facts don't matter (worst). I ranked these three videos based off my two criteria categories. I ranked the Global Warming video number one because it keeps the audience attached to the video. It is really cool how there are two of him and one basically brings up each misconception and the other one uses evidence to prove the misconceptions wrong. He also uses great evidence such as graphs and data to support his answer. The use of graphs helped me personally understand each misconception and why they are wrong. I ranked the Why facts don't matter last because for me it was just too long and it was a lecture hall setting. Also he used evidence but it was verbal evidence. he didn't show the evidence to the watchers like the global warming video. I learned many amazing things from the global warming video such as the nature releases CO2 in the air but nature takes it all back in too so it balances out. However we as humans let CO2 in the air but there is nothing that takes it back in, so it stays in the air and makes it worse for the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tej, if I don't learn something new, then I consider most of the internet a waste of time. I agree that some of the facts were really eye-opening and unique, and not trivial, and I appreciated that aspect of his "13 Misconceptions. . . ." video as well.

      Delete
  2. I thought the best video was Why Anecdotes Trump Data. He used clear evidence to support his claim, and even listed two pitfalls to his theory, which can show fairness and balance. He also talked about how statistical evidence may not work as well at getting the point across than stories that are in told great detail, and in dramatic ways. I also liked the atmosphere, as he was walking down a trail through the mountains. The second best video I thought was 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming. The content was entertaining, and also included some humor. He used his knowledge and evidence in a fun and entertaining was to keep the viewers interested. The main point he brings up is that the main cause of global warming is due to rising carbon dioxide levels. He also says the rise in carbon dioxide levels is mostly caused by humans. The video I thought was the worst was Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore. Although he he had a clear purpose, I didn't think the video was all that entertaining. He made good points, like saying we need to separate what is true from what is fake, and people need to care more about what is true versus what is fake. But I do not believe the atmosphere was the best, or the way he used his atmosphere. The way he presented/filmed the video I don't think makes it very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron, it's hard to have a sense of humor about controversial or foreboding subjects, but I agree it adds a ton if we can manage it, and Muller gave it a shot. I also like that he didn't use the phrase "climate change". He doesn't want to bend a knee to popular terminology.

      Delete
  3. My favorite video was Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore. Although it was long, I was kept interested the whole time. I liked this one the best because I thought the content of the video was very interesting, and extremely relatable to our generation. He talks about his own beliefs, but also acknowledges the other beliefs and outcomes as well which gave the video balance. He also talks about the negatives and positives of the internet and it's audience and how they can come together to make a positive impact or a negative impact, which adds even more to the balance and fairness. One thing I didn't like was the atmosphere. I did think it was a poorly recorded video because he was constantly walking, moving around, and the voices of the students were to quiet to hear. However the content loaded in this video outweighs the atmosphere. My second favorite video was Why Anecdotes Trump Data. I liked this video because again, I though it was very relevant and relatable to this day and age. A video is so much more interesting if what is being said applies to your life, and it also gives you a better understanding for the topics discussed. For example, he belies stories can hold as better evidence than data and I really do agree with this which made it more interesting to me to see why that actually is. Another positive about this video was the background and atmosphere. He was walking on a trail and it was a very pretty and calming view. However it did at some points distract me from the content which I think was a downside to it. Another downside to it, was at some points I thought he was all over the place in some of his information and facts and at certain points it was hard to follow. But overall, I did really enjoy this video as well. My least favorite video was 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming. I didn't enjoy this video because I found the content hard to follow, and I often found myself having to pause and rewind the video because I wasn't paying attention or didn't fully understand what was said. However I did like the way he set up the video. The person who "knew everything" was acting ignorant the whole time, just to be proven wrong, much like today's society. It provided a different production feature unlike the other two videos and provided humor as well. However I would've enjoyed it more if the content was interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When watching films or videos such as these by Veritasium I look for fairness/balance, and watch ability. To rank the three video in order I would say the 13 misconceptions of global warming is the best, then why Anecdotes Trumps Data, and lastly Why Facts do not matter anymore. The 13 misconceptions video was good because it showed both sides of the argument, even though it was still skewed towards his own beliefs I found it better than most peoples arguments for or against global warming. Also the video was fun to watch with himself playing both parts. That is a type of filming I rarely see, so it was enjoyable to watch. For why Anecdotes Trumps Data i found the video watchability a little hard because holding your own camera is a little weird to watch. For his fairness however, I found it to be good. He was using his opinion, but backed it up with facts. The video i ranked last, Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore, is because it was just hard to watch. I personally found it kinda boring and I was just not into it. I felt like I was in the lecture hall and it was not fun. It was also slow because he would run up to people that had a question and it was hard to hear them. For the fairness though. it was well balanced with facts and logic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veritasium’s “13 Misconceptions About Global Warming” was by far the best video, because it was engaging with dialogue, illustrations and clear points. I also appreciated that he touched upon many of the relevant criticisms of global warming. My second favorite video was “Why Anecdotes Trump Data.” The beautiful scenery behind him made the video more appealing than a lecture format. He also had lots of interesting facts from numerous studies to bolster his arguments. Although, I do wish he would’ve used some sort of visual representation of the data and studies that he used. Lastly, Veritasium’s “Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore” video was my least favorite. It seemed like a lecture and lacked any engaging material. It was also a long video which discourages people on a platform like YouTube from watching it entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When watching internet videos, there are many ways to evaluate which videos are the best. The two that really stand out to me, though, are how entertaining it is and the overall quality of the video. On these two categories, the three videos that we watched rank as follows:

    1. "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming"
    2. "Why Anecdotes Trump Data"
    3. "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore"

    "13 Misconceptions about Global warming" is definitely, in my opinion the best since it clearly adheres to the two criteria that I have just mentioned. Of the three videos, this video was certainly the most entertaining. Arguing with himself over the issues brought comedy and made the argument seem more real. He also showed graphs and other visual aides to help get his point across and to me, that was amazing. The video's sound and visual quality was also spot on, allowing his point to be made clearly, and crisply.
    Deciding the best video was fairly easy, but the other two videos were fairly similar. Both featured him holding a camera pointed at himself as he walked around and talked. They weren't anywhere NEAR the global warming misconceptions video in that regard. On the issue of quality, "Why Anecdotes Trump Data" comes at second place. This is because the sound and visual quality was superior to the other video. "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore" had patchy spots where the students couldn't be heard. The camera was also shaky and not as fun to watch. In the end, each video was great in its own unique way. However, "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming" was simply the best, followed by "Why Anecdotes Trump Data" and lastly, "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veretasium's videos incorporate a different angle to controversial and interesting topics. As a class we had to watch the videos "Why Anecdotes Trump Data", "Why Facts don't Matter Anymore", and "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming." My favorite video out of the three was "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming." The video had a vast amount of facts from all different aspects of global warming. The video kept my attention and was entertaining. The pictures and visual aspect of the video also helped with keeping my attention.
    The other two videos were Vlog style. I am not a fan of that method when producing a professional video. I got very distracted with the quick movements and background in both. The content was well communicated in both, with good information. "Why Facts don't matter anymore" would be my second pick and "Why Anecdotes Trump Data" is my third pick.I ranked them in that way because the classroom based one had great facts and somewhat kept my attention while the outdoor scene had good facts but I had a hard time keeping my attention on the facts that he was talking about because of the camera and the scene behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When looking at a Youtube video or any video for that matter, I have a couple of criteria that determine if I continue watching or view other content from the creator. First of all the creator needs to be able to grab my attention quickly. There has to be something to pull me in before I move to consuming the next content. There are so many choices to us viewers, that it has become ever more important to grab our attention very quickly. Another creator's material is only a click away. Secondly the video has to be substantial. What I mean by this is that the video needs to be supported with credible evidence and go more than just skin deep. When presenting facts there has to be some backing, making the video appealing to those on the creator's side of the argument or on the opposing side. There has to be the sense of consideration and presentaton common ground. In terms of the three video's we watched, I would rank them in the following order. 1 would be "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming". This one has a unique format as Muller took the form of two different characters, debating the topic of "Global Warming". This immediately grabbed my attention as it was different than most other videos. The content then was supported by quantitative data and scientific findings, giving the piece substance, making me feel more confident in what I was watching. 2 would be "Why Anecdotes Trump Data". This video was not as engaging as the previous one because it was only Muller speaking to the camera. What he had to say had validity but the presentation was lacking creativity. This was a little harder to watch and not as well done in my opinion. Lastly in the number 3 spot I would put "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore". This was a very lengthy video, meaning that in order to keep an audience entertained, it would have to contain either some very interesting content, or have a very interesting way of communicating more dull content. In my opinion, I didn't think the last video did either of that. The camera angle was shaky and the editing was minimal. The audio suffered from the camera used and the addition of students input, a very good idea, was muted by the poor quality. This along with the length made this the least engaging and east to watch video of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my opinion the most important criteria a video has is it’s ability to keep[ the viewers attention for most if not all of the video. There are many diffrent ways to do this but I think the best example that is used in the three videos shown to us is in the video I rank at the the top, “Why facts don’t matter anymore”. The video is the longest of the bunch but the audience is used in the Q and A portion of the video which helped keep my attention because we were getting viewpoints from a larger group of people opposed to just one man’s opinion. The second best in my opinion would be “13 misconceptions about global warming” because it is short enough, and the content is entertaining enough to keep the watchers attention. He has an argument with himself in this video and it is interesting to see his processes in a point counterpoint format. Lastly the video “Why Anecdotes Trump Data” was my least favorite because it seemed to me that he just threw a couple different examples at the viewer. The last video just didn’t hold my attention and I felt like it was more of a lecture then the video filmed more as a lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it comes to educational channels like Veritasium, the most important criteria for me is how informative it is, its entertainment value, and if it can keep my attention. All three videos did a relatively good job of this, but if I were to rank them, I’d say the best is “Why Anecdotes Trump Data” followed by “Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore” and lastly “13 Misconceptions about Global Warming.” I personally felt they were all well made and interesting videos, but “Anecdotes” grabbed me the most due to its setting and the topic. I like how he jumped right in to the point of the video, and he did a great job explaining how stories and Anecdotes help people like us understand facts better because it adds a human element to it. I also liked the area he was walking through, as it seemed very peaceful and serene. I definitely learned some cool stuff from said video. I actually really enjoyed the “Facts” as I am always engaged when there’s an audience interaction involved in the video. I very much enjoy watching college students have discussion with political or educational speakers at said events. Having said that, it was sometimes hard to hear what they were saying or asking, so they lowered it a bit for me. Still a fine video though. “Misconceptions” was still good and was definitely more unique which I liked, but I really wasn’t a fan of the humor in the video. I just didn’t like the delivery and comedy doesn’t seem to be his strong suite. Otherwise, a well made, informative video.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The two important criteria that I used to make an opinion about Muller's Youtube channel, Veritasium, were watchability and fairness/balance. For the first criteria, watchability, I would rank them; 13 misconceptions, Why Anecdotes Trump Data, then Why Facts Don't Matter. I ranked them because in terms of watchability, I felt that the 13 misconceptions video did a much better job than the other two videos. Muller was able to relay his points to the audience in a unique and entertaining way. He was able to sneak some humor in so it made a very controversial topic a little easier to unpack and explain to the audience. I ranked the facts one last because it was in a lecture hall, with more of a college lecture feel, which for some might help engage them, but for me it hurt the overall nostalgia of the video. In terms of fairness, I thought 13 misconceptions was very fair. It didn't necessarily give two sides to global warming (because I think probably 99% of people thinks its bad), but it does a good job about talking abut some of the criticisms of global warming, as wells ways to help reduce global warming. The other videos, do a decent job as well, but in the Why Anecdotes Trump Data, I wished he could have given a couple more examples about why the Anecdotes are beating out data. I just think it would have been nice to have another relevant example (the one he used was about pregnancy in a underdeveloped countries, just didn't feel very relevant to people who use YouTube...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When judging whether a YouTube channel such as Veritasium is good or not, I think it comes down to two important criteria the video must meet. The two criteria that I think matters most is watchability and the quality of content. For the first criteria, watchability, I would rank them: 13 misconceptions about global warming, Why facts don’t matter anymore, then Why Anecdotes Trump data. I put 13 misconceptions in first because I felt that he produced the video in an entertaining way because of how he was able to share his information effectively in an enjoyable style that allowed me to stay engaged with the video. For second place, I put Why facts don’t matter anymore because of the interesting environment he chose to shoot the video in. Although the video was fairly long, I felt like he was able to keep me interested by incorporating a Q/A session towards the ending.
    Then for last place I put Why Anecdotes Trump Data because I felt like since he shot the video on a hiking trail, it took away from the watchability. Throughout the video I struggled to pay attention to what he was talking about because I was more entertained by the setting he was in. For the second criteria, quality of content, I would rank the videos: 13 misconceptions of global warming, Why Anecdotes Trump Data, then Why facts don’t matter anymore. I ranked misconceptions of global warming in first because I think it did a good job at sharing the other sides views, but then he answered their concerns effectively. I also think the humor he put into the video also made it more enjoyable and easier to stay engaged. For second place I put Why Anecdotes Trump Data because I felt like he used good examples that the audience could understand in order to further our comprehension of the subject. Then in last place I put Why Facts Don’t matter anymore because I felt like his evidence behind it wasn’t as solid. He gave out good examples but he didn’t totally sell me on the idea of why the internet was completely dividing us. So overall I felt like 13 misconceptions about global warming was the best video because it was able to deliver relevant knowledge effectively while also sharing it in an enjoyable style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My criteria for ranking the three videos were watchability and the use of facts to support a claim. I would rank "13 Misconceptions about Global Warming" number one because it was easy to follow, was very entertaining and it was unique. All of these made it really easy to watch. The way he had a conversation with himself as if he was two different people was really unique and that alone kept my attention a little longer. Also this video use a bunch of facts and all of them were explained very clearly. Next I would rank "Why facts don't matter" as second because although I did not think him holding a camera and walking around was easy to watch, I thought the topic was very interesting and made the video easier to watch because it was able to keep my attention for longer. I would "Why Anecdotes Trump Data" because I thought it was hard to follow with the comparison he made it took me a while to catch on to what he was trying to say. Also I did not like that it was just him walking around outside with the camera it was hard for me to pay attention during the video because I wasn't interested in what he was saying and also there was not much else to keep me engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When watching an educational video the two things that stand out to me the most is watchablity and how informative it is. I would not watch a video that is boring or is one sided. To me the best one to watch was Why Anecdotes Trump Data. I thought this one was the best to watch because of his location. I was just amazed at the background and it made me want to visit there. I also thought this one was the most informative. It gave both sides and it was the one that interested me the most. To me the video Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore was the second best. Being in a classroom setting and seeing how the students reacted to the information given was interesting. I also liked to hear the questions afterward. I felt like allowing the students to ask questions really gave more information that was interesting to watch. This video would appeal to students more because we don’t always look at the facts. He also gave both sides of the story and good evidence to support him. The one that least interested me was 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming. I did not like how it was just himself talking back and forth. I felt like this one was just straight facts and nothing else. I felt this one was the most boring to watch. So to rank them, first would be Why Anecdotes Trump Data, second Why Facts Don’t Matter, and third 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The most interesting video to me was why facts dont matter anymore because today people tend to view things that make them happy or feel good for example in the video he states pictures of cats make certain peoples “Brains Tickle” and these spiral across the internet. I think this video is really relevant with today because lots of people get their news and information from twitter and lots of information isn’t even true but people dont seem to care. He made this video in vlog style of him teaching a class which i think wasn’t the most effective way he could’ve made the video, but i think that the information in the video was valuable information and overall an interesting and true topic for him to talk about. I think that his videos watchability is very easy to follow, you can get quick access to the videos, and overall i think he targets kids our age in his videos to make science interesting which makes them easier for us to follow them. I would rank Why facts dont matter anymore first because i think content is more important and it was more interesting to me. I would rank Why anecdotes trump data second because it also had interesting information that i enjoy learning about and was easily accessible with good watchability. Lastly i would rank 13 misconceptions about global warming last, because it just is a less interesting topic for me to listen to for an extended period of time, but generally an easy video to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think one of the most important pieces of criteria for a video in todays internet driven world is watchability. Right behind content of course, the content of the video is also very important. Watchability is more important because when creating videos we want people to watch them no matter what the content, the only way to do that is to appeal to the viewers and make it interesting enough to watch. So based on these viewpoints and the 3 videos we were given I rank the “13 Misconceptions About Global Warming” as my top video. That was my favorite video because even though it was a little long he made it interesting and worthwhile to the viewer. He put in a fun interaction between two sides that we don’t normally get to see. He also added in graphs and statistics to follow lots of these viewpoints which I found quite interesting. Behind that video I chose “Why Anecdotes Trump Data”, this was my second pick because I found the content and the watchability to be interesting. Although it held my attention it was still just him walking and taking into the camera which I know isn’t the most appealing. However, he used stories and a beautiful background to hold viewers attentions which I found to be a good tactic. The last video, “Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore” was definitely at the bottom of the watchability list. Even though I thought the content in this video was the best and I liked the most doesn’t help the fact that it was so long and in lecture form. Had he changed the video format a little bit this video would definitely be ranked higher, even though I grasped at what he was saying and stayed to watch I know that this is not true for the majority of his viewers. Which is why I think that might be the reason why it is the least viewed videos on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To me I have three main criteria for watching more informational videos. They are the use of evidence, the credibility and the clarity of the purpose. With these in mind I have to rate the three videos given from best to worst as: 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming, Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore, and finally Why Anecdotes Trump Data. In the 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming video, he has claims come up on climate change being fake and he retorts them with evidence. He also uses credible sources to back them up as well and the purpose of his video is very clear from the beginning. In the Why Facts Don't Matter video he shows that he has clear purpose and tell the class he is teaching that people polarize themselves to inly believe in their own side of a story. He shows that facts are only used when they agree with your opinion but he starts talking about his trip to the Netherlands and that a driver told him that electric cars don't really help with emissions because half of emissions come from the factory. Derek then says that he was wrong about it but he finds out through facts that what his driver said was true. My problem with this is that the title of his video is "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore." He goes against what his video title says and just goes with it. But the worst video, in my opinion, is the "Why Anecdotes Trump Data" video. He talks about how Mythbusters and his channel only use one trail in an experiment and how niether of them use a control group. This is false. In the Mythbusters episode number 61, they try to prove that a piece of straw can penetrate a palm tree at the right speed. They continued the test with different speeds to see if the straw could go through the tree. The Mythbusters do have control groups unlike in Veritasium where they clearly did have a control group but they basically said "take my word for it." How hard would it have been to just show a control group. Youtube videos are made so that they can go on for 15 minutes or longer given the channel's reputation. In fact his "Why Facts Don't Matter" video lasted 19 minutes, so couldn't Derek use a longer video and just show a control group. While the purpose is clear, the evidence and the credibility does not help in any way for him. The fourth video I watched was the "Surprising Applications of the Magnus Effect" video which is his most viewed video as of now. The video is only 3 minutes long but it surprisingly was the most interesting to me. He showed evidence to his findings, told us where he learned his information for the Magnus Effect and the purpose of the video was clear as he talked about the different examples that the Magnus Effect had. Overall it was my favorite video of the four videos I watched.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The most interesting video that I watched was the "Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore" I thought this was the best video because he explains how the internets goal should be to bring like minded people together for the benefit of everyone. However, the internet also does the opposite it brings bad people together as well which hinders the progress that is made in the right direction. The next best video was "Why Anecdotes Trump Data". I think that this is a good video to and the best thing about it is how he explains that stories catch our attention rather than scientific details. This is why lots of people struggle with grasping just data because it doesn't resonate with them as much as a story which is relatable. I also liked this video because brains work better with details rather than being vague. I found I could relate to these reasons. The third video is "13 Misconceptions About Global Warming". In this video I liked the way he was arguing with him self. It added more personality to the video than if he was just listing facts off. Another thing I enjoyed from this video was seeing all the facts sometimes it was hard to read them all, but it showed they were true and allowed for better visualization. I one piece of criteria that is important to consider in these videos is did I retain anything I watched. If I watch a video I want to at-least have one thing stick with me afterwords. I think this is important because if a video attracts them and they remember it they have greater odds of wanting to research it even more so they can learn more about the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mike, I would like to apologize to begin with as I am admittedly submitting this after the previously discussed 12 pm deadline as I was wrapped up in class until this time. I hope you’ll understand. Nevertheless, here is my response as promised. I would rank the 3 veritasium videos in order starting with my favorite, “13 Misconceptions about Global Warming,” followed by “Why Anecdotes Trump Data,” and lastly, “Why Facts Don’t matter anymore.” I liked 13 misconceptions simply because of how it was a thinly veiled image of society. People nowadays tend to be, put quite simply: dumb. Nobody bothers to learn anything for themselves, they only know what they see in the news or on social media. I enjoyed the watch-ability of the episode with the back and forth banter between the presenter and himself/society. He explains things in a way that is facts based and yet the society argued that everything he was saying was wrong, simply because they didn’t know anything about the topic itself, rather they only knew what the news was incorrectly informing them with: a lack of facts and any research for that matter. For example, everyone seems to think the only bad thing in the environment is global warming, however as stated in the video, it is actually addressed as “climate change.” Climate change is defined as any and all extreme changes in the weather, whether hot or cold temperatures, or extreme weather types such as heavy storms. It is not only the “heating up of the globe,” seeing as how we’re due for an unordinarily cold winter this year. I found it to be somewhat humorous if you will that he was arguing with himself and loved the portrayal of society as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The main criteria I look for when looking at information videos is how they use information and their credibility. To rank the the 3 videos I wooulkd have to say 13 Misconceptionds about Global Warming was the best then Why facts don’t matter anymore and the worst being why Anecdotes Trump Data. The 13 misc inceptions held my attention ther best but he also use typical things we have heard of about global warming but then he would use hard facts to disprove what they claimed. IHe also used good sources when he was doing it. Why facts don’t matter was 2nd best because he still used good sources and made very good points its just this video did not hold my attention as well so I missed some of the information because my attention driffted away. The worst one was why Anecdotes Trum Data this one was the worst because it was just him walking a round and it just didn’t keep my attention at all and I don’t think a lot of his points were not valuable to me. The video i watched on my own was how the pyramids were made adn it was by far my favorite video because he produced facts that I have never heard before and new ways of thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.