![]() |
| Drew Taggart (left) and Alex Pall (right) |
The Chainsmokers have been one of the most influential artists in my life. Among music's hottest recording artists, Alex Pall and Drew Taggart form the popular duo nicknamed "The Chainsmokers." They made their first breakthrough with the humorous 2014 song "#Selfie" which mocks the notorious selfie trend that began on Instagram, Snapchat and Tumblr. Today, their songs "Closer" and "Sick Boy" have hit the top charts and continue to trend among the world. They have a large following, consisting of teens and young adults. The Chainsmoker's songs reflect upon their generation and discuss the relationships between people. More importantly, their recent song "Sick Boy" accentuates the growing narcissism in America. It creates the idea that people are trying to live under false personas in social media, concealing their daily struggles and problems. This is a big issue teens face today as they are influenced by the growing stars of Instagram and other social media platforms who only present their artificial lives online. I can relate to the song's lyrics and the struggles that other teens face with social media platforms. I've always measured myself upon other people's profiles and posts. I could never understand why they seemed to have a perfect life and why my own life was so bland and boring. This song has influenced me to reshaped my identity and the way I compare myself to other people. In contrast to other artists, The Chainsmokers have developed similar ideas that Khalid and Logic employ relating to teens and their daily struggles. This has a been a dominant reason for these artist's success and their prolong future as influential role models.
To this day, I never regret discovering The Chainsmokers because they changed the way I characterized myself. As social media continues to thrive, so will artists like The Chainsmokers, battling against narcissism that lies in social media and deceives teenagers around the world.
Link to "Sick Boy":
Word Count: 315

The Chainsmokers make great music, and #selfie sounds hilarious. It's great that music helps so many teens connect with themselves and others.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy listening to the Chainsmokers as well. I also agree with how you say it talks about the things we go through daily and how it is relatable. I to used to measure my self on what other people were doing rather than what I was doing.
ReplyDeleteGood review, I also really like the chainsmokers, they have a great range of music. This is something I can relate to.
ReplyDelete