 |
| Me celebrating my 18th birthday at Iacanos (2017) |
My name is Timmy O'Brien. Despite my name typically being associated with children and South Park, I have always gone by "Timmy", and would feel weird if I were to start going by "Tim". I am the youngest of five siblings, and the age difference between myself and the oldest is 11 years. I really love movies, and some of my favorites include LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Deer Hunter, Prisoners, and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I currently work at a Panera
in Dublin off of Avery-Muirfield. My friends and I always enjoyed making videos and short films in middle school and high school. I am currently studying Criminal Justice and at this time and hope to have some sort of career in that field. I intend to transfer main campus when I feel I am financially independent enough to do so, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Something that really stood out to me in the reading was the idea that it is better to start out with questions rather than answers, as this opens the door to gain more knowledge and learn more about yourself as a person and as a writer. It is better to write about things you want to know about as opposed to things you already do, as this leads to more content and a better understanding of what you’re writing about. According to the book, writing at universities is more about inquiry and discovery, as opposed to reporting what you know. I feel this will be very helpful in the future.
I agree with what you are saying about the book, I found that section to be relatable as well. We always find ourselves just writing about all the facts we know and it comes off boring and repetitive. If we wrote to ask questions on the other hand and learn we would appear more interesting and in a better place as students.
ReplyDeleteIn relation to your story, The Lord of The Rings series has always been a favorite of mine, great movies. I also relate to the making movies and videos in high school, have you ever thought about pursuing something in that field?
Thanks for the reply. In a perfect world, I would definitely pursue a career in the film industry. However, at this time I feel it is too risky of a field for me to enter as I feel I do not have the full commitment to go the whole nine yards. Having said that, I will continue to write scripts and work on films with my friends whenever we have the chance.
DeleteHello Timmy. I would have to agree that the same theme stood out to me. Asking questions rather than answers would be the most productive. It gets the reader engaged and is more thought provoking than just answering the question. On another note, was it easier or harder to be the youngest of 5 siblings? Was it an advantage to be able to watch your siblings grow up and see their lives play out? Did you learn from their mistakes and successes?
ReplyDelete