My name is Max Gutentag. I mostly go by my nickname which is "Gute." I am the youngest of 5 kids. I have 4 older brothers and 1 older sister and I also have 1 sister-in-law. My fun fact is that 6 of the 8 people from my family graduated or are attending The Ohio State University. Both my parents, my brother and his wife graduated from Ohio State. My sister and I are attending Ohio State now. I am the only one to attend a branch campus here at Marion. My other 2 brothers decided to pursue lacrosse along with college and went out of state to Wheeling Jesuit University and Seton Hill University.

Here is a picture of me in a hole that is the width of my shovel and as deep as my shovel like the ones Stanley dug at Camp Green Lake.
In the first chapter of The Curious Writer, an idea that really stood out to me was the idea that people are not just naturally born to be writers. It was hard to believe because I have never been that strong of a writer in past classes. I learned to challenge my past beliefs of writing and figuring out what works and doesn't work. I also hope that I can find a new form of writing rather than following "the basic rules"
In the first chapter of The Curious Writer, an idea that really stood out to me was the idea that people are not just naturally born to be writers. It was hard to believe because I have never been that strong of a writer in past classes. I learned to challenge my past beliefs of writing and figuring out what works and doesn't work. I also hope that I can find a new form of writing rather than following "the basic rules"
Hey Max, I love your statement about writers not being naturally aborn. This can be applied to almost every single job. With enough hard work and dedication, almost anything is possible. However, you need to keep in mind that lack luster practice doesn't make perfect. Even perfect practice may not always lead to a plethora of success. However, it will always help improve your chances of being something great whether it's about being a writer, engineer, etc.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you Thomas. The fact that you made about perfect practice not always bringing the most success is a great great point and should always be taken into account.
DeleteHello Max. I strongly agree with what you said. I also wasn’t the greatest writer in high school. My writing can be basic and dull at times. Then there are others who just seem to have a knack for it. It may be because they enjoy it more and it makes them strive to become better. I do believe that anyone can improve as a writer with a strong effort and lots of practice.
ReplyDeleteI believe that when someone enjoys what they are writing it becomes much easier. I remember my last English paper I liked to write while in high school was a free write where I could write whatever I wanted while following a simple prompt.
DeleteHey Max, I agree with your point that people aren't naturally born to be writers. It's important for others to note that most things don't naturally happen and in order for a person to reach their goals they must put in the time and effort.
ReplyDeleteIt is much like how people say they have either a left brain or right brain. Left brain people are more critical thinkers while right brain people are more creative thinkers. There are many people that are a mix between the two but they always lean to one side or the other. I myself lean mostly to the left side of my brain.
Delete