Monday, August 27, 2018

Exploration Two by Caleb Sullivan

Hi! I'm Caleb Sullivan. I went to Grove City Christian High School. I played football, golf, basketball, and baseball throughout high school. I live on a farm where we raise pigs and goats and grow corn and soybeans. I enjoy fishing and hunting. My fun fact is: I was president of my high school class!
Senior Picture

The Curious Writer was very specific when explaining the motives behind why people write. It said the two motives were to communicate and to discover. I believe that these two motives go hand in hand. As writers, we discover as we communicate through our writing. Thoughts and ideas pop into our head as we think about what we will write, or what we will communicate next. 

We all write for different purposes. Some write research papers, some write journals, formally and informally alike, we all have a connection through writing information. I believe that bad writers can become good, I believe that good writers can become great. We are not born bad writers or good writers, some may have talents, but we all start somewhere and gain experience and knowledge about writing. Becoming better at writing starts with the individual. If you believe you can get better and work at it, you are naturally going to become a better writer.

Seeking new and exciting information to write about is the best for the writer along with the audience. The audience will be drawn in when writing about an interesting topic that relates to them in some way. You as the writer will also want to dig deeper into the topic that you are writing about. The topic of the written work will determine if the potential audience will pick it up and read it or just pass it by.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Caleb! It's really cool that you raise all those animals. I have a family friend who also lives on a farm. He raises hens, llamas, and llamas. I've also always wanted a pig, is it a lot of work raising them? What do you have to do?
    I also really like the bit where you talked about how we write to communicate and discover. It's amazing to think about how much writing has changed and how much we've discovered from writing. It allows us to communicate with people from all over the world by translating, which I think is an amazing concept; how one simple sentence can be read in so many different languages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb, I have played baseball all my life and I am pretty sure we played each other before. I went to Fairbanks High School. I was our third baseman and pitcher. I also like to fish a lot. My favorite to fish for is definitely catfish but bass is a really close second. My personal record for catfish is a 45 pounder out of a lake in Michigan. What are your favorite fish to fish for? What do you hunt and do you prefer bow or gun?
    I also agreee with you that communication and discovery go hand in hand. This is very true because we discover so much about ourselves and others through writing and we also can communicate things that we otherwise might not be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caleb, I also played golf in high school. I think it is a fun sport to play, that can be played all your life. It looks a lot easier than it is. It can be tough to learn but once you get the hang of it, it is really fun.
    I definitely agree with you that writing is something that can be improved over time, and the more you work at it the better you get. I think that is really true about anything in life, the more time you put in, the better you will get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sports is definitely something that can bring people together. And I agree that whether it is sports, or writing the more practice and determination towards it, the better.
    When we write, our minds are working and we are making discoveries as we see our imagination and creativity come into words.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.