My name is Alex Real, I am from Lewis Center Ohio and attended Olentangy Orange high school. I am currently undecided in terms of major but will be exploring marketing and advertising as possible avenues to focus my efforts in the future. My fun fact shared in class was that I have played soccer for the majority of my live and have since stopped due to breaking my ankle and needing time to recover fully.
Through reading chapter one of The Curious Writer, I noticed the themes of communication and transparancey of ideas as well as continual inquiry come up often and have concluded that in order to produce an effective piece of writing that conveys the intended message, the writer must focus on the process of inquiry and the questioning of circumstances from all angles especilly from both sides of the argument or issue. The questions are key and your personal judgment should be set aside for facts and multiple opinions from others before introducing your personal stance on a particular issue.

I agree with setting your personal beliefs aside when writing an article that should be based on just facts.It is very frustrating when reading or receiving information about a political candidate or an issue that is biased to one side when you were looking for the unbiased true facts. As you mentioned earlier, the more transparent a writer can be when communicating with the audience, the better the product will be accepted.
ReplyDeleteI like how you made an emphasis on facts rather than opinion, which I do agree with, but I think your personal beliefs are a huge factor in how you write. If I wanted to learn more about wage gaps, for example, I could sit down and read a graph giving me all the stats. However, noobody does this. They find an article written by somebody who might hint at his/her beliefs or they might full blown take a side. That’s when, as the reader, you need to find a good balance in fact and opinion. And once you master this I think it will help you’re own writing big time.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a little funny how that in our class we have at least one person from each of the first three olentangy high schools. Duncan went to Olentangy Liberty, you went to Olentangy Orange and I went to Olentangy. It is weird that we have different take aways from the three of us. All three of the take aways are important and have different meanings. The theme of communication is super important in writing and you bring a great point of focusing on the main idea as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteHey Alex! It is truly unfortunate to hear that you broke your ankle and haven't been able to play soccer because of it. Do you have plans to resume playing the sport once you have completed your rehabilitation program?
ReplyDelete