Preston at graduation party
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Exploration 2 from Preston
My name is Preston Pertuset. I am from Marion, Ohio and I attended Elgin High School in Marion. I am majoring in Finance. My fun fact is that I want to move to Wyoming and live in the mountains because I love the outdoors. I enjoy hiking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, and seeing nature’s beauty.

Preston at graduation party
The theme that stuck out to me the most in this textbook was that writing takes a process called allatonceness. The metaphors used in the text to explain this is when you learn to ride a bike. You don’t individually learn how to balance the bike, pedal, and move the handlebars, you learn it all at once. That’s why it’s called Allatonceness (all-at-once-ness). While learning to ride a bike, you crash and fail many times before you get the wheels turning and are successfully riding the bike. The same goes with writing. Once you get into a productive rhythm, then writing becomes much easier and more natural.
Preston at graduation party
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Preston, adding on to what you said about how riding a bike is similar to writing and how you learn it all at once and it isn't step by step and how you said that you fall many times before finally being able to ride a bike. I agree with what you said in the sense that in writing you must have a bunch of bad papers and horrible writings to really help you develop as a writer as least this is true for me because I am not the greatest writer.
ReplyDeleteI like what you said about the allatonceness, how we don't learn to write each individual part of a story. We don't only write a thesis over and over again until we have mastered it and then move on to the next piece, then the next piece, then the next piece, etc.; we learn to write all at once by, well, writing.
ReplyDeleteHi Preston, that is something I also found surprising. Writing to me was just a hobby, and not a process of inquiry. The bike metaphor for it is superb. Just like with riding a bike, there will be difficulties and struggles. With time and patience, you will succeed. Getting into a rhythm is important, so what is the best way to get into the rhythm? Is it with an endless grind and pursuit? Or is it by being relaxed and waiting for the right time to get you into the mood?
ReplyDeleteHi Preston. What makes you want to major in Finance? I agree that it takes time to gain momentum in order to write well. Failure is a necessary key and shouldn't hinder us from our goal.
ReplyDeleteHi Thomas. In response to your comment, I believe the best way to get into rhythm would vary from person to person. For myself, I think it would just be getting relaxed and having confidence in what I am writing. For others though, they might have a different method like the endless grind that you mentioned.
ReplyDelete