Students, please post your two literacy event ideas that might make good topics for Essay One here. Use the Comments section below. This way, all our essay ideas will be collected here for the class under this post.
We need pressure and discomfort to grow. I know this from being in grade school and growing up and even in high school. Also have experienced this in my short time in college so far. 4th grade, 8th grade, jr., senior, freshman in college.
- Playing sports and having someone on the team not like you. You two have to find a way in order to get along in order to work together and help the team.
- Another significant literacy event in my life is video games. You have your own language you use when playing them. You are constantly relaying information in order to succeed. You also use a lot of slang when you are talking about the games or when you are in game.
The first literacy event in my life was learning how to wakesurf. I had to learn what all the correct terms were for the board, and the tricks. It expanded my skill level and understanding of the difficulty of the activity. Now I enjoy doing it as much as I can, continuing to learn and grow in the new environment that comes along with it. My second literacy event was working at an ice cream parlor over the summer. Two years ago I worked at Cols Stone. I had to learn what all the utensils we used were called, and I had to learn the name and ingredients of all the different ice cream specials people could order. It was also good with learning how to communicate and work with people, especially angry customers. I gained better communication skills, and a better appreciation for people who work in the food business.
The first literacy event that I have experienced is my hearing loss. I expanded my skills by learning how to read lips. I also learned to use visuals more. Hearing loss affected my life in many ways but I had to use the skills I learned to help me succeed.
Another literacy event in my life would be when I had two knee surgeries. When I had knee surgery I could not walk on my leg for six weeks. I had to learn how to use crutches and learn ways to get around. Simple things like going up the steps, or sleeping was hard. When I had my second surgery I learned from my first and got better at getting around.
A literacy event in my life that brought me new understandings and skills is definitely when I joined the lacrosse team for my school. I gained better listening and talking skills that I did not have before then and being part of a team effort really helped me in other lief problems like school, work, and even sports.
Another literacy event that I had the privilege to work at a YoungLife camp for a whole month. I was in the "pits crew" which meant that I was part of the dish washing team for the entire month. Through the constant amount of dishes coming to us and adversity of some workers not doing their jobs. I was really tested in my patience and it really taught me to look at the bigger picture of everything.
The first literacy event in my life that I have experienced was when I broke my ankle in lacrosse. It was devastating to me that I would be out for the rest of the season, but it ended up showing me that missing a season of lacrosse wasn't the end of the world. My teammates were also very supportive and showed me that my team was an actual family who had my back.
My second literacy event was in middle school when I had to meet new kids and make friends. This was important because it made me go out of my comfort zone to get to know others. It also made me improve my communication skills.
One literacy event in my life was learning how to play guitar. It was a very long process with many times of frustration. I kept at it though and I continue to improve with practice and time.
Another literacy event in my life was when I worked at Lowe’s. I had to learn how to communicate with customers and help them with whatever it was they needed. I also learned how to operate a forklift and what safety procedures you must follow while doing so. Having a job in general taught me to become more responsible and helped me become independent.
Literacy events are experiences in which participating individuals gain a new understanding and adapt in order to fit in or succeed. One thing that immediately jumps out to my mind is football. Prior to participation in football, I didn't have a way to connect with some of my classmates. I was always considered the smart kid or the nerd. This changed after I started playing football in the fifth grade. I gained a new understanding of the way that the other kids behaved and picked up on the lingo they used, like slang. I wasn't a very big kid, so in order to succeed I had to develop an extremely good work ethic to try to decrease the skill gap. I also had to become a student of the game. I read up on defenses, offensive routes, or anything that could give me a leg up on everyone else. This insane work ethic carried over to my school work and allowed me to interact with a wider variety of people than ever before. Therefore, because of football I became a more well rounded and driven person. Another literacy event of mine was participating in theater. I loved music and performing. When I was in the third grade, I performed as my first lead role at the Bucyrus Little Theater. I got to meet new people and grew accustomed to the art of performing for others. It was also amazing to have other kids my own age come up to me and congratulate me. It made me feel special, and I continued performing at various other theaters such as the Mansfield Renaissance Theater. Theater helped me develop skills at performing as well as confidence in my own ability. I wouldn't be who I am today without participating in theater.
My first literacy event was during my senior class trip to the Dominican Republic. We visited many local villages and schools where we played with the children and gave them school supplies. I had to adapt myself to play with these kids and engage with the activities. As a result, I created many friendships with some of the kids despite of our language barrier.
My second literacy event was when I was working at the Columbus Zoo as a rides operator. As an introvert, I had to become more sociable and friendly towards guests. Being a ride operator requires communication and interaction with large groups of guests. This really pushed me out of my comfort zone and has helped me since to become more extroverted.
One of my ideas for a literacy event in my life would be learning to play soccer and basketball. Sports possess lots of unique vocabulary and sport specific terminology that have broadened my knowledge and caused me to adapt and pick up on such terms.
Another event would be adapting to high school. Being associated with upperclassmen and a diverse group of people with varying values, exposed me to great amounts of new language and culture specific to high school. For better or for worse.
-Playing football and having one of my own teammates injure me during practice with a season ending injury... learning how to go on and make others better through it. I learned patience while working through physical therapy and occupational therapy waiting for the time that I could go back on the field and play again.
-Reffing and coaching youth sports while making an influence on their lives. Helping young kids learn how to play sports and implement life lessons into sports. So many situations that you face in life are shown through sports.
One idea for a literacy event would be getting a job. It taught me to be more independent, and to be able to work for what I want or need. I have also had to be able to manage my time better, and be able to balance my life. I have also experienced the importance of being able to work as a team, and be able to communicate well.
Another would be moving to a different school. I didn’t know anyone where I had moved to. I had to make new friends, and adjust to a whole new environment where I had never been before. It helped me realize that change doesn’t have to be a bad thing, it’s about the way you handle it.
A good literacy event for me was starting my own lawn mowing business in high school. The majority of my life I never really had to work hard for much of anything. As I got older, I realized that not everything I wanted or needed in my life was always going to be handwrapped and given to me by my parents. So, realizing I needed to start making money for myself, I began mowing lawns for my neighbors as I entered my Junior year of high school. I had to go around the neighborhood and post flyers for my business, and then basically just wait and see if people were interested. Eventualily, a good number of people responded and I soon found myself mowing nine lawns every week for some time. This was very stressful for me, and I had to learn to balance out my work and free time, as well as take initiative and mow on a timely schedule. This helped me become a much more responsible person, and from then on I have felt much more independent.
Another for me over time has been entering both high school and college. Most my life I have felt like a very socially awkward and anxious person, so having to change my daily life as I’m used to it in such a big way has always been difficult for me. It always takes time, but eventually I learn to get to know new people. In fact, some of best friends were the ones I met later on in high school. I hope I can do the same in college.
One literacy event would be my class trip to Europe we learned about the culture and the history of WW2 and it taught me more about WW2.
Another event that is good is being a senior in the marching band it taught me about having to overcome being angry at people and helping them. It also taught me how to work well on a team.
One literacy event that helped me grow was playing soccer since Avery young age. It forced me to work with teammates and develop skills that I’ve been using ever since.
Another event that helped me in life was my grandfathers death. It was the first time I’d really dealt with something like that, and since it happened at such a young age, his influnce over my life has always helped.
1. Literacy event that caused me to change and adapt was joining the volleyball culture where I had to learn all this new terms and plays as well as udnerstand what to work on as a player and what made you stick out in this environment at places such as national tournaments in front of college recruits.
2. Another Literacy event that I had to learn to adapt to was suprisingly my own culture because growing up I grew very distant from my religion and caused to me to stay away from all this cultural conventions being held around me at friends houses. So when I ended opening the door to that I realized all of the Indian norms and standards as well how to act and treat others depending on caste.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe need pressure and discomfort to grow. I know this from being in grade school and growing up and even in high school. Also have experienced this in my short time in college so far. 4th grade, 8th grade, jr., senior, freshman in college.
ReplyDelete- Playing sports and having someone on the team not like you. You two have to find a way in order to get along in order to work together and help the team.
ReplyDelete- Another significant literacy event in my life is video games. You have your own language you use when playing them. You are constantly relaying information in order to succeed. You also use a lot of slang when you are talking about the games or when you are in game.
The first literacy event in my life was learning how to wakesurf. I had to learn what all the correct terms were for the board, and the tricks. It expanded my skill level and understanding of the difficulty of the activity. Now I enjoy doing it as much as I can, continuing to learn and grow in the new environment that comes along with it. My second literacy event was working at an ice cream parlor over the summer. Two years ago I worked at Cols Stone. I had to learn what all the utensils we used were called, and I had to learn the name and ingredients of all the different ice cream specials people could order. It was also good with learning how to communicate and work with people, especially angry customers. I gained better communication skills, and a better appreciation for people who work in the food business.
ReplyDeleteThe first literacy event that I have experienced is my hearing loss. I expanded my skills by learning how to read lips. I also learned to use visuals more. Hearing loss affected my life in many ways but I had to use the skills I learned to help me succeed.
ReplyDeleteAnother literacy event in my life would be when I had two knee surgeries. When I had knee surgery I could not walk on my leg for six weeks. I had to learn how to use crutches and learn ways to get around. Simple things like going up the steps, or sleeping was hard. When I had my second surgery I learned from my first and got better at getting around.
A literacy event in my life that brought me new understandings and skills is definitely when I joined the lacrosse team for my school. I gained better listening and talking skills that I did not have before then and being part of a team effort really helped me in other lief problems like school, work, and even sports.
ReplyDeleteAnother literacy event that I had the privilege to work at a YoungLife camp for a whole month. I was in the "pits crew" which meant that I was part of the dish washing team for the entire month. Through the constant amount of dishes coming to us and adversity of some workers not doing their jobs. I was really tested in my patience and it really taught me to look at the bigger picture of everything.
1. Losing my grandparents and uncle-how that changed out lives and thought process.
ReplyDelete2. Two different cultures and how I adjusted to them.
The first literacy event in my life is adjusting to being a 100m runner in track to being placed into the 400m and learning how to do it
ReplyDeleteAnother literacy event in my life is hurting my hamstring in track and continuing to run through it
The first literacy event in my life that I have experienced was when I broke my ankle in lacrosse. It was devastating to me that I would be out for the rest of the season, but it ended up showing me that missing a season of lacrosse wasn't the end of the world. My teammates were also very supportive and showed me that my team was an actual family who had my back.
ReplyDeleteMy second literacy event was in middle school when I had to meet new kids and make friends. This was important because it made me go out of my comfort zone to get to know others. It also made me improve my communication skills.
One literacy event in my life was learning how to play guitar. It was a very long process with many times of frustration. I kept at it though and I continue to improve with practice and time.
ReplyDeleteAnother literacy event in my life was when I worked at Lowe’s. I had to learn how to communicate with customers and help them with whatever it was they needed. I also learned how to operate a forklift and what safety procedures you must follow while doing so. Having a job in general taught me to become more responsible and helped me become independent.
Literacy events are experiences in which participating individuals gain a new understanding and adapt in order to fit in or succeed. One thing that immediately jumps out to my mind is football. Prior to participation in football, I didn't have a way to connect with some of my classmates. I was always considered the smart kid or the nerd. This changed after I started playing football in the fifth grade. I gained a new understanding of the way that the other kids behaved and picked up on the lingo they used, like slang. I wasn't a very big kid, so in order to succeed I had to develop an extremely good work ethic to try to decrease the skill gap. I also had to become a student of the game. I read up on defenses, offensive routes, or anything that could give me a leg up on everyone else. This insane work ethic carried over to my school work and allowed me to interact with a wider variety of people than ever before. Therefore, because of football I became a more well rounded and driven person.
ReplyDeleteAnother literacy event of mine was participating in theater. I loved music and performing. When I was in the third grade, I performed as my first lead role at the Bucyrus Little Theater. I got to meet new people and grew accustomed to the art of performing for others. It was also amazing to have other kids my own age come up to me and congratulate me. It made me feel special, and I continued performing at various other theaters such as the Mansfield Renaissance Theater. Theater helped me develop skills at performing as well as confidence in my own ability. I wouldn't be who I am today without participating in theater.
My first literacy event was during my senior class trip to the Dominican Republic. We visited many local villages and schools where we played with the children and gave them school supplies. I had to adapt myself to play with these kids and engage with the activities. As a result, I created many friendships with some of the kids despite of our language barrier.
ReplyDeleteMy second literacy event was when I was working at the Columbus Zoo as a rides operator. As an introvert, I had to become more sociable and friendly towards guests. Being a ride operator requires communication and interaction with large groups of guests. This really pushed me out of my comfort zone and has helped me since to become more extroverted.
-Playing sports and always being undersized and always having to do things better or faster than everyone else.
ReplyDelete-Reffing sports and knowing the responsibility of controlling the game and also the fans and players.
~ Learning about different religions and cultures.
ReplyDelete~ How to adjust with totally different environment then where I grew up.
Sports have the power to change the lives of young people for the better.
ReplyDeleteI had a job as a counselor over the summer so talking about how I adapted or learned to fit the role better could be a literary event for me.
One of my ideas for a literacy event in my life would be learning to play soccer and basketball. Sports possess lots of unique vocabulary and sport specific terminology that have broadened my knowledge and caused me to adapt and pick up on such terms.
ReplyDeleteAnother event would be adapting to high school. Being associated with upperclassmen and a diverse group of people with varying values, exposed me to great amounts of new language and culture specific to high school. For better or for worse.
ReplyDelete-Playing football and having one of my own teammates injure me during practice with a season ending injury... learning how to go on and make others better through it. I learned patience while working through physical therapy and occupational therapy waiting for the time that I could go back on the field and play again.
-Reffing and coaching youth sports while making an influence on their lives. Helping young kids learn how to play sports and implement life lessons into sports. So many situations that you face in life are shown through sports.
One idea for a literacy event would be getting a job. It taught me to be more independent, and to be able to work for what I want or need. I have also had to be able to manage my time better, and be able to balance my life. I have also experienced the importance of being able to work as a team, and be able to communicate well.
ReplyDeleteAnother would be moving to a different school. I didn’t know anyone where I had moved to. I had to make new friends, and adjust to a whole new environment where I had never been before. It helped me realize that change doesn’t have to be a bad thing, it’s about the way you handle it.
A good literacy event for me was starting my own lawn mowing business in high school. The majority of my life I never really had to work hard for much of anything. As I got older, I realized that not everything I wanted or needed in my life was always going to be handwrapped and given to me by my parents. So, realizing I needed to start making money for myself, I began mowing lawns for my neighbors as I entered my Junior year of high school. I had to go around the neighborhood and post flyers for my business, and then basically just wait and see if people were interested. Eventualily, a good number of people responded and I soon found myself mowing nine lawns every week for some time. This was very stressful for me, and I had to learn to balance out my work and free time, as well as take initiative and mow on a timely schedule. This helped me become a much more responsible person, and from then on I have felt much more independent.
ReplyDeleteAnother for me over time has been entering both high school and college. Most my life I have felt like a very socially awkward and anxious person, so having to change my daily life as I’m used to it in such a big way has always been difficult for me. It always takes time, but eventually I learn to get to know new people. In fact, some of best friends were the ones I met later on in high school. I hope I can do the same in college.
One literacy event would be my class trip to Europe we learned about the culture and the history of WW2 and it taught me more about WW2.
ReplyDeleteAnother event that is good is being a senior in the marching band it taught me about having to overcome being angry at people and helping them. It also taught me how to work well on a team.
One literacy event that helped me grow was playing soccer since Avery young age. It forced me to work with teammates and develop skills that I’ve been using ever since.
ReplyDeleteAnother event that helped me in life was my grandfathers death. It was the first time I’d really dealt with something like that, and since it happened at such a young age, his influnce over my life has always helped.
ReplyDelete1. Literacy event that caused me to change and adapt was joining the volleyball culture where I had to learn all this new terms and plays as well as udnerstand what to work on as a player and what made you stick out in this environment at places such as national tournaments in front of college recruits.
2. Another Literacy event that I had to learn to adapt to was suprisingly my own culture because growing up I grew very distant from my religion and caused to me to stay away from all this cultural conventions being held around me at friends houses. So when I ended opening the door to that I realized all of the Indian norms and standards as well how to act and treat others depending on caste.