Monday, September 10, 2018

Exploration 3

     The story that has meant the most to me so far has been the story where Tim finds out he has been drafted to fight into the war. I like the story because it shows how I feel most Americans felt about the war which is they wanted no part of it. The story also shows the moral conflict the author faces when his boat is anchored just twenty yards off shore of Canada “I couldn’t decide, I couldn’t act, I couldn’t comport myself with even a pretense of modest human dignity.”(pg.54) This chapte focuses more on the homeland then it does on the war which is what I think makes it mean the most to me.
     Jimmy Cross is the character that sticks out to me the most as of right now in the book. Jimmy shows that he cares for his men, as any man put in charge should, when Ted Lavender is killed and he burns what means the most to him to stop himself from being distracted. That distraction of his, a picture of the girl he loves, is what helped him get through the war at that point and I find it vary admirable to get rid of something like that to help others. Lieutenant Cross also cry’s when Ted dies and he puts the blame for the incident on himself which shows that he truly does care about his men.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree because i think that men in power are only in power when other give him that designation. Jimmy cross show that he care for his men and that is a noble person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, I like what you said about Jimmy Cross. I never thought about him like that. It was interesting to see how he blames himself about Lavenders death. I think it is crazy how much he cares about this girl when they really aren't even dating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *I completely agree with you on the idea that this story shows how the drafting process may seem simple to anyone on the outside world not fighting the war but for a solider its a completely different case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This passage of the book meant a lot to me as well because my uncle was drafted into the Vietnam war and his father attempted top move to Canada as well to avoid joining the war. He ended up serving anyways and was able to live to tell the story. reminds me a lot of this passage in the book.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.