The story that has meant the most to me so far is On the Rainy River. I liked this story the best because, the reader understands the emotion and morals of Tim O’Brien. In this story the reader gets a sense on how Tim feels about getting drafted into the military. The author writes this chapter well so that the reader can understand the internal monologue of Tim. He thinks about running to Canada, but instead he goes for a drive and meets Elroy Berdahl. Tim says “It was a moral spilt. I couldn’t make up my mind. I feared the war, yes but I also feared exile. I was afraid of walking away from my own life, my friends and my family and my family, my whole history, everything that mattered to me” (Page 42). This quote shows Tims morals and what matters to him.
My favorite character so far in the book is Elroy Berdahl. I liked how Elroy just let Tim do his business and did not ask questions about why he was there. I thought it was interesting that Elroy took Tim on a boat where Tim could of jumped out and swam to Candada. I liked that Elroy just acted like he was fishing and let Tim think about what he wanted to do. Sometimes in todays world I wish people would just let others do what they want and not ask questions.
I can relate with Tim in this chapter if I was in that situation. I would want to run away and not be involved in the war, but ultimately I think I would come back and end up serving for my country. I would feel like I let my country down and I would not be able to bear that for the rest of my life
ReplyDeleteI also liked Elroy. I liked him because of how he would act oblivious while subtly helping Tim cope with the stress he was dealing with. I also don't think I would have been able to run away from my family and loved ones. I wouldn't have been able to live with the guilt of leaving while other men sucked it up and went to the war and then died. I also thought "On the Rainy River" was the most important for the same reason as you did.
ReplyDeleteI also felt Elroy was a very good character. He never had to ask Tim questions about why he was there, but instead let him figure out things on his own. He definitely knew what Tim was going through, and had probably been in a similar situation before.
ReplyDeleteI think that i can relate especially when I don’t belong to just one country but two, so i can understand the state of being scared and not go to war but at the same time i value true patriotism , love and devotion one can give to it’s country.
ReplyDeleteI can understand what Tim is going threw he feels pressured to join the war against his own will and I would feel the same way. I would be scared like he was too and I might not have even joined it in the end.
ReplyDelete