The story that meant the most to me so far is the story of Curt Lemon getting scared of the dentist. A dentist was coming to inspect all the soldiers teeth. Curt Lemon is actually scared of the dentist even when he was said to be one of the more ruthless men in the army. When it was his turn to see the dentist he passed out most likely due to anxiety and fear. It made me feel like Lemon was just a normal person outside of his cocky attitude. "As we sat waiting, Curt Lemon began to tense up. He kept fidgeting, playing with his dog tags"(O'Brien 83). It really humanized the character. Tim O'Brien, the character, did not see it that way and thought Curt passing out was an excuse instead of the way I saw it when was I did reading the book. He even said that he "found it hard to mourn" (O'Brien 82), after Curt Lemon died.
The character that stands the most out to me has to be Kiowa. He is a voice of reason for Tim O'Brien and his company. I find it very ratable that he carries a Bible with him, which I somewhat do the same but I keep mine in my car. When Ted Lavender dies, it shocks Kiowa and he can not stop talking about it until he is told to stop talking about it. I think it is very interesting that even while he carries a Bible around and how much he loves churches that he doesn't want to become a minister or a preacher. He has a lot of respect for his religion and even today the message is very powerful as a Christin myself.
I also thought that the story about Curt Lemon being scared of the dentist was one of the most interesting stories so far. These men are at war and tend to not show any fear at all, and there is Curt a tough guy who is scared of something like going to the dentist.
ReplyDelete