Monday, September 10, 2018

Exploration 3 by Christian Doss

A story that meant the most to me is the one where Curt Lemon and Rat Kiley were goofing around with smoke grenades. This story meant the most to me because they were making the best of their situation and still trying to have fun even with everything going on around them. I relate to this because I always try to make the best of every situation no matter how circumstances. Being able to turn anything into a fun time or have a positive mindset about it is something I always have tried to do. Tim O’Brien is talking about the two boys when he says, “They’d be covered with smoke and they’d laugh and dance around and then do it again” (O’Brien 67). This demostrates how they are able to make the best out of their situation with the war going on around them.

A character that stands out to me is Lee Strunk because he had made a pact with Dave Jensen that if either of them would have a wound putting them in a wheel chair that they would kill each other so they wouldn’t have to suffer; however, when Lee Strunk had his leg taken off at the knee he told Dave Jensen to let him live and that they would be able to repair it. I thought this was interesting because he previously had not wanted to suffer but when faced with death he wanted to live if there was any chance he could.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you Christian. It is always smart to try and have fun with whatever it is you are doing. It makes things much more enjoyable. Even in times like that, a little fun wouldn't hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting about Jenson not killing him. You realize how valuable your life is when it flashes in front of your eyes. I understand what they were thinking when they made the promise to kill the other one if they ended up wheel chair bound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was ironic when Lee pleaded with Dave to pardon his life. Why would he make such a outrageous promise? This story really shows that every soldier fears death, despite their bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you as well, Christian. The soldiers' situation in Vietnam was pretty bad. They were always exposed, and in danger. They had to witness and do gruesome things. It's why they goof around any way that they can. That's something that I, and many others would do. This also makes the characters more relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you christion I cant imagine being in a war with the amount of mental stress and anxiety involved with the war.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.